The Scott County Courthouse has a long and colorful history.
The courthouse was originally constructed in 1904, but burned in the 1940s. The original exterior walls of the courthouse — which, like the old jail next door, were constructed of sandstone — still exist beneath the newer brick facade that dates back some 60 years.
In addition to two courtrooms, the courthouse was once home to many of Scott County’s judicial offices. In 2008, most of those offices were vacated with the opening of the Scott County Justice Center.